Director of Marketing
For more than 50 years, Ballet Hispánico (BH) has been the leading voice intersecting artistic excellence and advocacy and is today the largest Latinx/Hispanic cultural organization in the United States and one of America’s Cultural Treasures. BH brings communities together to celebrate and explore Latino culture through innovative dance productions, transformative dance training, and enduring community engagement experiences.
BH has always focused on providing a haven for Black and Brown Latinx youth and families seeking artistic place and cultural sanctuary. By providing the space for Latinx dance and dancers to flourish, BH uplifted marginalized emerging and working artists, which combined with the training, authenticity of voice, and power of representation, fueled the organization’s roots and trajectory.
In 2009, BH welcomed Eduardo Vilaro as Artistic Director, ushering in a new era by inserting fresh energy to the company’s founding values and leading BH into an artistically vibrant future. Today BH’s New York City headquarters house a School of Dance and state-of-the-art dance studios for its programs and the arts community. From its grassroots origins as a dance school and community-based performing arts troupe, BH has stood as a catalyst for social change.
BH is about to embark upon a comprehensive strategic planning process to identify new opportunities to showcase and leverage the organization’s world-renowned dance company, school of dance, and thought leadership in the arts, culture, education, and social justice spaces.
BH has a current annual operating budget of approximately $7.9M. Sources include performance income, tuition, studio rental income, and charitable support from government, foundations, corporations, and board members and other individual donors.
BH seeks a highly motivated, and entrepreneurial Director of Marketing (DoM) who has the expertise to develop and direct the implementation of all marketing strategies for the organization. The DoM leads initiatives and campaigns to heighten BH’s institutional marketing to a broad and diverse national constituency, and direct programmatic marketing to support fundraising, and sources of earned revenue for the Company, School of Dance, and Community Arts Partnership programs.
Reporting to the Chief Development & Marketing Officer and working closely with the Artistic Director & CEO, School of Dance Director, and the Chief Engagement and Inclusion Officer, the DoM will lead and inspire a 4-person team of a full-time Digital Marketing Manager, Content Marketing Manager, School of Dance Marketing Coordinator and Marketing Assistant, as well as contract publicists, graphic designers, photographers, and videographers.
This position is based at BH’s headquarters on the Upper West Side of New York and will have a hybrid in-person/remote schedule with at least two days a week in the office.
- Provide leadership, direction, and guidance to the Marketing Department. Manage the marketing staff and serve as a mentor to support their development.
- Create, update, and implement a marketing plan to support program awareness, annual revenue goals and audience development, and reinforce BH’s identity through institutional marketing.
- Lead marketing campaigns for the Company’s New York Summer Season and national performances, the School of Dance classes, the Community Arts Partnership’s NY programs and national tour engagements, fundraising initiatives, and space rental.
- Direct all areas of marketing operations, including marketing strategy, public relations, digital channels, marketing collateral, and advertising.
- Create and direct strategic partnership initiatives that support the programmatic and financial growth of BH and strengthen the organization’s position as a thought leader in the dance, education, and DEI sectors.
- Maintain a consistent brand for BH that attracts diverse audiences.
- Develop a strategic approach to executing today’s most relevant digital marketing tactics using social media platforms.
- Create compelling messages and cases for support that tell stories of BH’s impact.
- Manage relationships with contract publicists, freelancers, and marketing vendors.
- Develop and manage marketing campaigns and initiatives’ budgets.
- Analyze marketing data to identify which campaigns and initiatives were most effective.
- Work across time zones as needed with national stakeholders to ensure marketing is targeting regional audiences.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of BH.
- 3-5 years mid-to senior-level marketing experience in the arts. Savvy about current trends in marketing and audience development.
- Creative and strategic thinker who delivers outcomes.
- Understanding of when, where, how, and to whom social marketing content should be targeted and experience creating brand-driven content that builds customer connection.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, manage priorities and meet deadlines.
- Leadership and mentorship experience, as well as team building.
- Ability to facilitate collaboration across multiple teams, inspiring a shared sense of ownership and accomplishment.
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking with regards to measuring marketing performance.
- Persuasive communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrable sales skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Spanish is preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation commensurate with experience. The salary for this position is up to $110,000. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, 403(b) retirement savings plan and flexible paid time off.
Those who are offered a position with BH will be required to provide confirmation of a completed COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. To assist any individual who is unable to be vaccinated because of a medical condition or who objects to being vaccinated on the basis of sincerely held religious beliefs and practices, BH will engage in an interactive process to determine if a reasonable accommodation can be provided, so long as it does not create an undue hardship for the BH and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others in the workplace and/or to the employee. To request an accommodation, please notify BH Human Resources in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For expressions of interest or nominations please contact:
Betterton Associates, LLC
Ballet Hispánico is an equal opportunity employer.