CURRENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
BALLET HISPANICO COMPANY
|All positions are filled at this time.|
|Positions open in the Development and Finance departments.|
|Seeking teachers for Latin ballroom classes.|
EDUCATION & OUTREACH FACULTY
|Seeking Teaching Artists.|
INTERNSHIPS AND VOLUNTEERS
|See available internships.|
Director of FinanceDevelopment
Manager of Special EventsEducation & Outreach
About the ProgramInternships
Internships AvailableLatin ballroom
School of Dance
Ballet Hispanico is a cultural non-profit of the 21st Century whose mission and vision have made an indelible impact on the artistic, social, and cultural life of the nation. From its origins as a dance school and community-based performing arts troupe in the early 1970’s, BH has become a world class institution. Through its electric contemporary performances, its School of Dance, and its signature community engagement programs, Ballet Hispanico is now poised to evolve and extend the unique role it plays in New York City and across the country as it seeks to become a driving force in the cultural, educational, and social mainstream nationally and internationally.
Position and Responsibilities
Ballet Hispanico’s Director of Finance will be a working partner with BH’s Artistic Director/CEO and the senior leadership team. Reporting to the CEO, and working directly with several key board committees including Finance and Audit, the Finance Director will plan, direct, and carry out the day-to-day financial operations of the organization:
· Prepare and present financial reports, clearly communicating monthly and annual financial statements;
· Coordinate and direct the annual audit process, working with external auditors;
· Prepare and monitor annual budget, financial plans and reports, working with the AD/CEO;
· Prepare budgets and reports for institutional proposals, grants and awards, working with the CEO and Director of Development;
· Keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status;
· Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting;
· Schedule and prepare materials for quarterly Finance Committee meetings;
· Oversee BH financial/accounting personnel, policies and practices including internal controls and bank reconciliations;
· Communicate and present critical financial matters to the AD/CEO and Board of Directors;
· Ensure compliance with all state and federally mandated reports and requirements.
The successful candidate will be a proactive, team player who is able to direct and drive BH’s financial functions while working collaboratively with the organization’s AD/CEO, senior staff, and key committee chairpersons to help produce a culture of financial accountability and transparency:
· A solid knowledge of and experience in not-for-profit financial policy, management, and practices, ideally with an MBA, CPA, and/or equivalent experience with a non-profit organization of comparable scope and scale to BH;
· At least 7-10 years of professional experience overall in the not-for-profit sector including experience in the arts and/or education, and 5+ years of senior level financial management;
· Ability to communicate financial concepts to – and effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds;
· Knowledge of accounting and reporting software, FundEZ preferred;
· Highly organized habits of mind, a high level of tenacity, and composure under pressure;
· Ability to think strategically and creatively;
· Excellent communication and relationship building skills, with an ability to prioritize and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
· A multi-task financial administrator with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment;
· A self-starting temperament, an optimistic outlook, and a sense of humor;
· Integrity, and a dedication to the mission of Ballet Hispanico.
Compensation and Application ProcedureSalary and benefits are competitive with not-for-profit organizations of comparable scope and scale. To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Joshua Palmer, Executive Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full job posting available here.
Manager of Special Events
Ballet Hispánico is looking for a dynamic and experienced events manager to plan, produce, and implement fundraising and cultivation events, and lead the marketing and booking of studio rental space at our headquarters. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer and supported by the Development Assistant, the Manager of Special Events will collaborate with all staff members to provide leadership and outstanding service to guests and clients while ensuring that events are successful, memorable and of the highest quality.
Full job posting available here.
Ballet Hispanico is currently accepting teaching artist applications for part-time work in our Education & Outreach program.
We offer a series of dance education residency activities that serve students, educators, dance audiences, parents and the general public. At Ballet Hispanico we share a unique blend of dance and learning about the Hispanic and Latino Diaspora. Our programs support student achievement in the classroom and inspiring a passion for learning and discovery that will last a lifetime.
We invite applications from Teaching artists who specialize in: Afro-Caribbean, Creative Movement, Folkloric Dances from the Americas, Latin Partner Dances, Modern Dance (Choreography and Repertory Work), Dances from Spain/Flamenco, Modern, Ballet, Jazz, Latin Jazz and Dance Composition, Improvisation, Technique, Partnering. We welcome submissions related to other dance forms of the Americas not listed here.
Ballet Hispanico Teaching artists possess:
- experience teaching in k-12 urban school settings and communities of teachers, parents and neighborhood centers
- a passion for working in schools with children who may have never danced before
- an educational background that supports sequential, scaffolded teaching that is fun and organized
- strong, engaging and positive classroom management and interpersonal skills
- the ability to create fun lessons that take complicated steps and make them accessible to children in an easy to understand, child-friendly structured manner
- knowledge about Ballet Hispanico’s history and awareness of social and historical influence of Hispanic and Latino culture on the dance form they teach
- a demonstrated ability to plan lessons and an entire residency including the integration of the art form into classroom curriculum
- a demeanor that reflects warmth, openness, enthusiasm, willingness to grow and work as part of a team.
- excellent administrative skills related to deadlines, email responsiveness, flexibility and professionalism
- Invitations to BH events, rehearsals, and performances
- Exposure to the workings of all departments
- Attendance at departmental and full staff meetings
- Network with staff and professionals in the field
- Gain experience that will increase value to prospective employers
- Build a resume and references
- A cover letter describing of your career path and how it relates to being an intern at Ballet Hispanico. Please also include which internship(s) you are applying for
- A resume including administrative and relevant experience
WAYS TO APPLY
Please submit your application only once by one of the means below:
Ballet Hispanico Internship Program:
167 W. 89th St., New York, NY 10024;
Fax: (212) 362-3081
Please, no duplicate submissions and no phone calls.
- Fall (September-December): July 31st
- Spring (February-June): November 30th
- Summer (June-August): March 30th
EDUCATION & OUTREACH
Interns work closely with the Wardrobe Supervisor, the dance company, school personnel, and teaching artists. Responsibilities would include taking measurements, costume maintenance, performance dressing & quick changes. Interns will have the opportunity to work with productions staff for performances in May and June. Sewing Skills a must! SPRING, SUMMER
The Ballet Hispánico School of Dance is currently seeking experienced dance teachers who specialize in Latin ballroom dance to join our Open Program faculty. The position(s) will teach a Latin Rhythms class for ages 9-11 and/or 12-18 for the 2016-17 school year.
Full job posting here. Apply by August 19, 2016.