Video (c) Angelo Vasta
Emerging Artist Workshop
2-Week Program: June 22-July 2, 2020
A unique, holistic program, which shapes hirable, competitive dancers who are ready to advance their careers.
Audition for ChoreoLaB in NYC!
• Take daily technique classes in ballet, improvisation, creative process, partnering, and more!
• Work with renowned guest choreographers and former artists of Batsheva, Ballet Frankfurt, Nederlands Dans Theater, and Hubbard Street Dance Chicago
• Learn excerpts of Ballet Hispánico’s repertory from artistic staff
• Benefit from professional development opportunities including forums, networking events, and Q&A sessions with artists in the field
• Audition in an open call for Ballet Hispánico’s second company, BHdos
• Receive individualized constructive feedback and guidance from artistic leaders in the field, and more!
Note: Ballet Hispánico is unable to provide housing for ChoreoLaB students
Questions/Preguntas? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-362-6710, ext. 72
Saturday, January 25, 2020
Saturday, February 29, 2020
Saturday, March 28, 2020
Please arrive at least 30 minutes before the scheduled audition to allow yourself time to warm-up and have your materials ready.
Ballet (Pointe shoes optional)
$15 Preregistration Fee
$20 Day of Registration Fee
Completed, audition form.
8x10 color headshot.
*Please print audition form prior to day of audition from either video audition page or confirmation email
*Incomplete audition forms will not be allowed to audition.
*Printer unavailable. Please print your own headshots.
*Students auditioning for ChoreoLaB can also be considered for Summer Intensive.
VIDEO AUDITIONSBallet Hispánico recommends that all applicants audition in person. However, video audition submissions are acceptable if a student is unable to attend a live audition.
Applicants should send their current video dance reel, which demonstrates skill in both contemporary and classical forms along with any specialized dance knowledge. Improvisation is also welcome. If applicant does not have a reel, videos of a performance solo are permissible (rehearsal of solo is acceptable). Video footage should be a minimum of 2 minutes and a maximum of 5 minutes. A preliminary placement will be given from video. Once student is enrolled, an additional observation by artistic leadership during class will be scheduled to determine any level adjustment needed.
VIDEO AUDITION FEE
There is a $40 video audition fee, which may be paid by check (made out to Ballet Hispánico, with a note in the memo “School of Dance Audition”) or by submitting a credit card authorization form.
- Before submitting your video audition please be sure to have the following:
- Video link or DVD, as requested above
- Completed Audition Form (download HERE)
- Color 8x10 headshot
- $40 payment via check or Credit Card Authorization Form (download HERE)
Methods of Submission
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION OF VIDEO AUDITION
If e-mailing a link, please send to Joshua Winzeler at email@example.com with subject line “School of Dance Audition Video.” Be sure to include any password(s) needed to view your video reel at time of submission.
BY MAIL OF SUBMISSION VIDEO AUDITION
If mailing, DVD must be in a format ready to view on American DVD players. Please mail DVD to Ballet Hispánico at 167 West 89th Street, New York, NY 10024 to the attention of the School of Dance along with other requirements listed in checklist below.
Incomplete submissions will NOT be processed.
APPLICATION DEADLINE AND ACCEPTANCE NOTIFICATION
Video submissions are due March 28, 2020. Allow at least three to four business weeks for processing. If accepted, you will be required to complete the registration forms that are available on our website at www.ballethispanico.org. All videos become property of the Ballet Hispánico School of Dance and will not be returned.
- Payments may be completed as follows:
- Online: You will need to create a log in through MindBody and follow steps if interested click here.
- In Person: Fall Office Hours are Tuesday-Friday 2:00-7:00pm & Saturdays 10:00am-4:00pm. Summer Office Hours are Monday-Friday 10:00am-4:00pm (please refer to the School Calendar for when the hours begin)
- By Mail to: Ballet Hispánico 167 West 89th Street, New York, NY 10024 (Attention: School of Dance, with a note in the memo “School of Dance Audition”)
- Fax: 212-362-3081
TUITION & FEESStudents may participate in the full two-week program or enroll for the first week only.
Students may not only enroll in the second week of the program.
First Week Only: $700
- A non-refundable registration fee of $300 must be placed in order to secure your spot in the program. The School of Dance does NOT offer refunds, only credits. Any credits received will be applied to your Ballet Hispánico account.
FINANCIAL AIDAll students who audition for ChoreoLaB will be considered for a Nuestro Futuro Scholarship. a merit-based scholarship program designed to support passionate young artists that are serious about their dance training. To learn more about the Nuestro Futuro Scholarship Program, click here.
Financial Aid Scholarships are also available to those who qualify. Financial Aid Scholarship applications are part of the program registration form that will be provided to you upon acceptance. To apply for a Financial Aid Scholarship, you will be required to submit the following:
- Completed Registration Form
- 2018 IRS 1040 tax return forms
- Completed Financial Aid Application Parts I and II
*Applications are not considered complete unless all forms are submitted together. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please allow two weeks for processing.
DRESS CODEDancer Needs
- Lunch/Snack (Please Note: We are a nut free camp)
- Non-Glass Water Bottle
- Combination Lock (If using a locker)
- Street Shoes (For use outside of studios in building common areas)
Dancer Dress Code
- Professional Dance Attire
- Ballet Shoes
RECOMMENDED DANCEWEAR RETAILERS
Capezio www.capezio.com (Discount does not apply online)
201 Amsterdam Ave at 69th Street
- Ballet Hispánico students receive 25% discount when shopping at this store
- 30% discount available during special pop-up shop events at Ballet Hispánico
250 West 54th Street, 6th Floor
- Ballet Hispánico students receive 10% discount when shopping at this store
- We recommend calling the store prior to going as business hours fluctuate
Discount Dance Supply
Boys Dance Too
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
When are the auditions?
All audition dates can be found in the above "Auditions" tab.
What should I bring to the audition?
Students should arrive 30 minutes prior to the audition with completed audition forms, prepare their appropriate program’s checklist materials, and pay the $20 audition fee. Students should wear their dance attire for the audition - leotard, convertible tights, and ballet shoes, and bring pointe shoes.
*Audition forms can be found in confirmation email or in the video audition section
How can I prepare for New York City auditions?
Auditions at Ballet Hispánico will be composed of three parts: ballet, contemporary, and Spanish Dance. Students can expect to begin the audition with a streamlined ballet barre, centre, and pointe work (only if experienced.) The ballet portion will be followed by a contemporary section with improvisation, and will finish with an exploration of Spanish Dance.
How can I prepare for national auditions?
Students can expect an audition similar to above. National auditions will be conducted in a master class format that features contemporary dance and Ballet Hispánico repertory.
When will I be notified if I am accepted into the ChoreoLaB?
Students will be notified via e-mail of acceptance into the ChoreoLaB one to two weeks following the audition.
What if I can’t make the NYC or National auditions?
Students unable to attend the NYC or national audition may submit a video by April 30, 2019. All criteria for the video submission can be found HERE.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND FINANCIAL AID
How do I apply for scholarship?
Upon acceptance into the ChoreoLaB, all students can apply for scholarships. The scholarship application form is part of the registration form. Notification of scholarship awards will be sent via e-mail two weeks after submission.
Is housing provided for the ChoreoLaB?
Housing is not provided for the ChoreoLaB. We suggest trying a housing site such as Gaslight Housing on Facebook or AirBnB for guest housing options.
Is my spot in the ChoreoLaB guaranteed if I am accepted?
Students will need to register and make a deposit to secure their place in the Summer Intensive.
When can I register?
Students can register as soon as they are accepted into the program. Students will receive a registration form along with their acceptance e-mail.
If accepted into the ChoreoLaB do I need to attend the full three weeks?
Students may sign up for one or three weeks of the program.
What is the schedule like?
How are students placed in levels?
Primary placement is completed at auditions. Placement is subject to change at the discretion of the School Director.
What is the last day to make payments toward tuition?
Tuesday June 9, 2020. If you have questions or concerns regarding payments, please feel free to contact the School at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-362-6710, ext. 72 to make financial arrangements.
When and where will orientation take place?
The School of Dance will hold a welcome orientation for all students and guardians on the morning of their first day. At the orientation, you will have an opportunity to meet our staff, see our building, and learn about the program expectations and building policies. Classes are set begin at 9:30 a.m. as scheduled. Students not attending the first week of the program will need to stop by the school office on their first day and pick up all materials then.
What is your dress code policy?
All information regarding dress code is located under the "Dress Code" tab of this page. For Ballet Hispánico merchandise and gear, we invite you to stop by our School of Dance office.
Will students be provided with a locker during the program?
Students are welcomed to store their belongings in our lockers rooms, located on the 8thfloor. During the orientation, you will have an opportunity to choose a locker and place a lock on it. We ask that you only use combination locks, as this information will be stored in the student’s Ballet Hispánico account.
Do all students get to perform in the ChoreoLaB Open Studio on July 2?
Students attending the full two-week program will have Open Studios on the final day of the ChoreoLaB on July 2. Students that are not attending the full two week program, but will be present during week 3 (June 22 - July 2), will participate at the faculty’s discretion.