Photo (c) Paula Lobo
June 18-29 | Ages 18+
An immersive, career-building program that places rising professional dancers in an intimate studio experience with distinguished choreographers and seasoned artistic staff.
Artists in today’s dance world must be more than just technicians. Beyond demonstrating skilled technique, dancers are frequently expected to contribute thoughtfully to a choreographic process, transition seamlessly between varied styles of repertoire, and possess strong partnering ability. Dancers can face challenges getting hired if they lack the business skills to communicate professionally with artistic directors, or create supporting application materials that best demonstrate their artistic strengths. ChoreoLaB hones both artistic skills and professional excellence through a holistic program, which shapes hirable, competitive in-demand dancers ready to advance their careers.
During the intimate two-week studio experience, participants will:
- Work with renowned guest choreographers and former artists of Batsheva, Ballet Frankfurt, Nederlands Dans Theater, and Hubbard Street Dance Chicago
- Learn excerpts of Ballet Hispánico’s repertory from Company dancers and artistic staff
- Attend forums, networking events and Q&A sessions with artists in the field
- Audition in an open call for Ballet Hispánico’s second company, BHdos
- Receive constructive feedback and guidance from artistic leaders in the field, and more!
Note that Ballet Hispánico is unable to provide housing for ChoreoLaB students.
NYC & Video Aud. DetailsNational Auditions
Fees Annabelle Ochoa
Admission to ChoreoLaB is by audition only.
NYC ChoreoLaB Auditions:
Audition by scheduling an appointment to take Company Class by May 15, 2018. Please follow the steps listed below to confirm your appointment:
- Click the “Register” button below. You will be redirected to the Company Class schedule.
- Next, you will be prompted to create a MINDBODY account. Choose a date that works best for you and register for the class. Please note that there are limited classes throughout January, February, March and April. (*A MINDBODY account is required to use this system).
- Once registered, email School of Dance Associate Joshua Winzeler at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your appointment, submit your completed audition form (download HERE), resume, and headshot. Appointments must be confirmed 48 hours in advance. Only dancers with confirmed appointments will be evaluated.
NYC ChoreoLaB Nuestro Futuro Scholarship Auditions:
ChoreoLaB students may also audition for Nuestro Futuro Scholarships. Nuestro Futuro Scholarships are merit-based, full tuition scholarships, established by Ballet Hispánico, that support artists who are passionate about their dance training. To be considered, applicants must register for one of the audition dates listed below. To learn more about the Nuestro Futuro Scholarship Program, click here.
All NYC auditions are held at:
167 West 89th Street
New York, NY 10024
3:00pm Registration opens
Saturday, March 10, 2018
3:00pm Registration opens
Saturday, April 21, 2018
3:00pm Registration opens
Please bring the following items to the audition:
1) Completed audition application form (download HERE)
2) $20 nonrefundable audition fee
3) 8x10 Headshot
If you are unable to audition in New York, you may submit a video application by April 21, 2018. Instructions for the video audition may be downloaded HERE.
Download the audition application form and video application instructions
Contact the School of Dance office at 212-362-6710 or email us at email@example.com.
Upcoming auditions in:
Los Angeles, CA
Audition dates coming soon!
TUITIONAudition and register early to save!
Registration begins January 31, 2018. A $300 deposit is required to secure a space.
Tuition for the two-week program is $1,395
Early Bird Special (before May 5, 2018): $1,195
First Week Only*: $800
Early Bird Special (before May 5, 2018): $700
*students are not allowed to only participate in the second week of ChoreoLaB
A non-refundable $50 registration fee is required at time of registration.
Tuition and fees must be paid in full by Saturday, June 2, 2018. Students may not begin the program until payment is received, unless financial arrangements have been made.
FINANCIAL AIDFinancial Aid Scholarships are available to those who qualify. Financial Aid Scholarship applications are part of the program registration form that will be provided to you upon acceptance. To apply for a Financial Aid Scholarship, you will be required to submit the following:
- Completed Registration Form
- 2016 IRS 1040 tax return forms
- Completed Financial Aid Application Parts I and II
Applications are not considered complete unless all forms are submitted together. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please allow two weeks for processing.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
ANNABELLE LOPEZ OCHOA
Annabelle’s works have received numerous awards and accolades throughout Europe and the United States. In her first year as a full-time choreographer, she was described as a “rising star of the Dutch dance scene” (NRC Handelsblad). Only seven years later, the Temecula Performing Arts Examiner wrote, "Ochoa is truly a masterful choreographer with an edge for what dance can and should be in this constantly changing industry." In 2012, her first full length work, A Streetcar Named Desire, originally created for Scottish Ballet, received the Critics’ Circle National Dance Award for “Best Classical Choreography” and was nominated for the prestigious Olivier Award for Best New Dance Production the following year. Sombrerisimo, a piece commissioned by New York City Center’s “Fall for Dance” for Ballet Hispánico, was included in Dance Magazine’s “Best of 2013”. She also received critical acclaim for her original work, Broken Wings, created on English National Ballet, being listed as one of the best premieres of 2016 by Dance Europe, Pointe Magazine, and The Guardian.
Photo (c) Titus Tiel Groenestege