Employment Click for Spanish
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
About Ballet Hispanico
Ballet Hispanico explores, preserves, and celebrates Latino cultures through dance. Founded by Tina Ramirez in 1970, the organization is now under the Artistic Direction of Eduardo Vilaro. Mr. Vilaro spent 10 years as a dancer and teacher at Ballet Hispanico before founding and managing Luna Negra Dance Theater in Chicago for a decade. He was named Artistic Director of Ballet Hispanico in 2009.
Ballet Hispanico’s programs include a professional Company of 14 dancers with an annual New York season and national/international touring to an audience of nearly 3 million; a School of Dance unique in its emphasis on ballet, contemporary and Spanish dance as its core curriculum, serving nearly 700 students annually; and Education and Outreach, with arts education programs that serve over 1,200 New York City school children through long-term residencies and thousands more through national outreach programs. Ballet Hispanico is headquartered in a 21,000 sq. ft. dance facility on Manhattan’s Upper West Side.
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
Ballet Hispanico is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as its new Controller. Reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration, he or she will be responsible for Ballet Hispanico’s day-to-day financial management and accounting functions as well as assisting the Director of Finance & Administration in audit preparation, budgeting, reporting and general administrative functions.
The Controller position requires a thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, especially as relevant to nonprofits. He or she must be a hands-on manager, a problem solver and an effective communicator, both written and spoken.
The Controller will work closely with Ballet Hispanico’s staff and be skillful at promoting an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork. In addition, he or she will be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, able to maintain confidences and confidential information and possess sound judgment.
• Collaborate with the Director of Finance & Administration to set long and short-term financial objectives, including the annual budget development and monitoring processes.
• Assist the Director of Finance & Administration with administrative functions, including HR, information technology management, building operations, as needed.
• Manage the daily accounting and reporting functions.
• Ensure that books and records are maintained accurately and are in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Serve as a resource for members of senior management, counseling and partnering with them on matters of fiscal control, regulatory compliance and monthly budget review meetings.
• Ensure that necessary internal controls are in place and are being followed. Recommend improvements where needed.
• Manage the preparation of and perform the review of: the daily cash receipts processing; cash disbursements; monthly reconciliations of cash accounts and funds held in endowments; etc.
• Oversee compilation of information necessary to complete the annual audits.
• Prepare monthly financial reports to the Board and senior management.
• Prepare financial reports for the Board of Directors and the appropriate committees.
• Ensure responsible tracking of fundraising dollars including compliance with funding restrictions and grants management.
• Enhance financial reporting functions including the preparation of financial statements, forecasting, cash flow, actual vs. budget reports & analyses.
• Ensure all policies and procedures are documented, communicated and reflective of current practices.
• Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local rules and regulations for New York and other states as appropriate.
Skills, Training & Experience:
• The ideal candidate will have 5 to 8 years of non-profit financial management experience. Performing arts administration experience preferred, but not required;
• Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting or equivalent experience;
• Knowledge and experience in accounting and GAAP;
• Excellent skills in problem solving and critical analysis;
• Proven high standards of performance, excellent attention to detail, ability to work well under pressure, eager to pursue aggressive goals, and works hard and smart to achieve them. Must be persistent, decisive, resourceful, proactive, and results-oriented;
• Understand programmatic activity and have the ability to convey information to people with varying levels of financial expertise;
• Strong written and oral communicator with excellent presentation and organizational skills; Bilingual in Spanish is a plus;
• Capable of managing difficult situations with tact and diplomacy;
• Ability to work well in teams as well as independently;
• Expert level skills in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and FundEZ. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge, helpful; and
• Flexible work style and an interest in being part of a dynamic and evolving organization.
Please send your resume to Fredrick Pandian, Director of Finance & Administration at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Ballet Hispanico is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Education & Outreach Teaching Artists
Ballet Hispanico is currently accepting teaching artist applications for part-time work in our Education & Outreach program.
We offer a series of dance education residency activities that serve students, educators, dance audiences, parents and the general public. At Ballet Hispanico we share a unique blend of dance and learning about the Hispanic and Latino Diaspora. Our programs support student achievement in the classroom and inspiring a passion for learning and discovery that will last a lifetime.
We invite applications from Teaching artists who specialize in: Afro-Caribbean, Creative Movement, Folkloric Dances from the Americas, Latin Partner Dances, Modern Dance (Choreography and Repertory Work), Dances from Spain/Flamenco, Modern, Ballet, Jazz, Latin Jazz and Dance Composition, Improvisation, Technique, Partnering. We welcome submissions related to other dance forms of the Americas not listed here.
Ballet Hispanico Teaching artists possess:
Please send cover letter, resumes, and sample residency outline to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internships and Volunteers
ABOUT THE PROGRAMBallet Hispanico offers a comprehensive, full-time and part-time internship program. Interns experience professional and educational mentorship in the areas of Arts Administration, Marketing, Production and Education. If you are an undergraduate student, graduate student, recent college graduate or an early-career professional, you could be part of this fantastic program! (see descriptions below).
TO APPLYA complete application consisting of the following:
All material should be addressed to BH Internship Program.