Employment Click for Spanish
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
The Company Manager is a full-time exempt employee of Ballet Hispanico reporting to the Artistic and Executive Directors, with full responsibility for managing the day-to-day operations of the renowned 15-member dance company under the leadership of Artistic Director Eduardo Vilaro. Ballet Hispanico tours from 10 to 15 weeks each year and self-presents two seasons in New York. The organization also commissions two to four new works each year for the company and fully integrates the company dancers in an extended program of educational activities. The company’s staff includes a Rehearsal Director, Production Director and Wardrobe Supervisor. A strong team of management staff and professional consultants also supports the company’s activities internally. Ballet Hispanico is an AGMA signatory; the current contract extends through July 2015.
The ideal candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of and experience with a professional touring dance company. Relevant experience will include presenter relations, union relations, financial planning and management, contract negotiations, O-1 Visa applications, and theatrical production. He/she must have the personal skills to work with artists, designers, musicians, agents, and the general public. A strong responsibility for financial management is expected. This position works closely with fellow senior staff members to ensure that the institution is fulfilling its mission and strategic goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
§ Manage AGMA contract compliance and relationships and serve as key team member for negotiation of AGMA agreements
§ Oversee communication among all company personnel
§ Negotiate agreements with guest artists and secure performance rights
§ Secure performance rights for recorded music
§ Prepare timely O-1 Visa applications for dancers and guest artists
§ Manage dancers’ injury prevention program and emergency visits
§ Handle workers compensation reporting and record-keeping
§ Prepare detailed weekly payroll for dancers and guest artists
Touring and performance responsibilities:
Qualifications and Skills
§ Five years of experience in professional company management with national and international touring
§ Practical knowledge of all areas of dance and theater production
§ Experience with box office protocol and reconciliation
§ Experience in dealing with union contracts and negotiation
§ Excellent interpersonal skills with a courteous and professional demeanor
§ Willingness to undertake frequent travel and a work schedule that includes nights, weekends and holidays
§ Strong organizational and planning skills with a capacity to multi-task
§ Exceptional attention to detail
§ Ability to work independently as well as within a staff team framework
§ Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
§ High degree of proficiency in MS Office environment, including Word and Excel
§ Enjoy working in a fast-paced and collegial environment
§ Knowledge of Spanish is a plus
Starting date: October 1, 2014
Please send your resume to Fredrick Pandian, Director of Finance & Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Ballet Hispanico provides a competitive salary and benefits package.
Download job description here.
Ballet Hispanico seeks a high-level Executive Assistant to provide administrative and project management support to Ballet Hispanico’s Executive Office. The Executive Assistant will ensure the office’s effective and efficient operation, facilitate the flow of information throughout the organization, manage schedules and communications, and provide clerical support for the organization’s Artistic and Executive Directors. Additionally, the Executive Assistant will act as an important liaison between the Board of Directors, Senior Staff and Executive Office.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Interest in and knowledge of performing arts management.
• Ability to maintain positive, cooperative, calm, professional and collaborative interaction with everyone.
• Excellent time management and planning skills
• Excellent written communications skills.
• Spanish (written and oral) extremely desirable.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Outlook is required. Proficiency with Microsoft Publisher, PowerPoint and Excel helpful.
• Regular office hours are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
• Position requires attendance and support for occasional evening and weekend events including, but not limited to, the annual gala and opening nights for the Joyce and Apollo seasons.
• This position is scheduled Monday through Friday, though some evening and possibly weekend hours will be required during performance and events seasons. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Ballet Hispanico provides an excellent benefits package, including individual medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance and a 403B plan.
How to Apply
• To apply, please send your resume to Fredrick Pandian, Director of Finance & Administration at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Job description can also be downloaded here.
Director of Development
Ballet Hispanico seeks an experienced Director of Development. The Director of Development leads Ballet Hispanico’s fund-raising efforts and, in addition to the Executive Director, works closely with the Artistic Director, the Chair of the Board of Directors and several committees of the board to achieve the organization’s contributed income goals.
Ballet Hispanico’s Director of Development is responsible for developing and implementing a plan to achieve all annual fundraising goals in support of the organization’s $5.4M annual budget. This includes: securing renewed and new funding in the areas of individual, institutional and government support; identifying, prioritizing and developing strategies for new opportunities; and planning and implementing special events.
In collaboration with the Director of Marketing & Communcations, the Director of Development will develop an external communications strategy that increases awareness and understanding of Ballet Hispanico’s mission and services to the community, institutions and the media.
About Ballet Hispanico:
Founded in 1970 by Tina Ramírez, Ballet Hispanico explores, preserves, and celebrates Latino cultures through dance. The organization’s programs include the professional Company, the School of Dance and Education & Outreach programs. Additionally:
This is an especially exciting time for Ballet Hispanico: The Company’s 2014 season concludes with over 40 weeks of highly acclaimed national and international touring; special contributions totaling $4.2M have been received in the last two years for operating and capital gifts; and a major façade and first floor renovation is scheduled for this summer.
Specific Duties (Include, but are not limited to):
· Create and implement an innovative development strategy that engages all of the organization’s resources, especially the Board of Directors and the executive/artistic leadership team and that consistently retains and secures new revenue for the organization.
· Lead the individual giving program by cultivating relationships with existing donors as well as researching and recruiting new individual donors, especially “major” donors.
· Oversee the institutional funding program and identify new and prospective foundation and public funders.
· Oversee planning and execution of fundraising and special events including the annual gala, the New York City performance season and smaller events throughout the year.
· Promote and solicit corporate sponsorship for Company activities, special events and program development initiatives undertaken by the organization. Develop sponsorship marketing materials in collaboration with the Director of Marketing & Communications.
· In consultation with the Board Chair and Executive Director, set well-researched and achievable goals and benchmarks.
· Prepare and monitor fundraising department’s budget along with budgets that accompany grant proposals.
· Oversee and/or execute all fundraising proposals and donor relation activities including database management, acknowledgement letters, reports, etc.
· Assist the Director of Marketing & Communications in the development and delivery of an external communications strategy that increases awareness and understanding of Ballet Hispanico’s mission and services to the community.
· Represent Ballet Hispanico at performances, showings and industry events.
This position is scheduled Monday through Friday, though some evening and possibly weekend hours will be required during performance and events seasons. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Ballet Hispanico provides an excellent benefits package, including individual medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance and a 403B plan.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, required. Master’s degree preferred;
· Minimum of 7 years of non-profit fundraising experience, and 3 in leadership roles, with knowledge of and expertise in principles of philanthropy and fundraising;
· A proven track record securing institutional gifts and corporate sponsorships;
· Significant individual and major gift fundraising experience;
· A demonstrated ability to think creatively and bring fresh ideas and approaches to fundraising initiatives;
· Superior interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with an ability to be an effective public speaker. Knowledge of Spanish is desirable, though not required;
· Experience forecasting, managing and reporting on fiscal budgets;
· Excellent planning and organizational skills;
· Excellent supervisory skills with experience in managing staff and working collaboratively with colleagues throughout the organization;
· Experience with special event planning and coordination;
· An arts-related background;
· Familiarity with New York’s arts philanthropic community;
· A self-starter who is capable of juggling multiple projects across varying time frames;
· A commitment to Ballet Hispanico’s mission.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume to Fredrick Pandian, Director of Finance & Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Job description can also be downloaded here.
Education & Outreach Teaching Artists
Ballet Hispanico is currently accepting teaching artist applications for part-time work in our Education & Outreach program.
We offer a series of dance education residency activities that serve students, educators, dance audiences, parents and the general public. At Ballet Hispanico we share a unique blend of dance and learning about the Hispanic and Latino Diaspora. Our programs support student achievement in the classroom and inspiring a passion for learning and discovery that will last a lifetime.
We invite applications from Teaching artists who specialize in: Afro-Caribbean, Creative Movement, Folkloric Dances from the Americas, Latin Partner Dances, Modern Dance (Choreography and Repertory Work), Dances from Spain/Flamenco, Modern, Ballet, Jazz, Latin Jazz and Dance Composition, Improvisation, Technique, Partnering. We welcome submissions related to other dance forms of the Americas not listed here.
Ballet Hispanico Teaching artists possess:
Please send cover letter, resumes, and sample residency outline to: email@example.com.
Internships and Volunteers
ABOUT THE PROGRAMBallet Hispanico offers a comprehensive, full-time and part-time internship program. Interns experience professional and educational mentorship in the areas of Arts Administration, Marketing, Production and Education. If you are an undergraduate student, graduate student, recent college graduate or an early-career professional, you could be part of this fantastic program! (see descriptions below).
TO APPLYA complete application consisting of the following:
All material should be addressed to BH Internship Program.